Student Resources - Chapter 3
Internet Activity 3.1
- With reference to Table 3.5 on pages 229-30 of the textbook, go to Sky News, BBC, ITN or newspaper websites, and take any one major news story and identify all the news values in Table 3.5 that make the story so newsworthy.
- If you are in a class, it may be worth dividing the major stories between you so you can cover different types of story (e.g. political news, war, disasters, etc.). Make a note of your findings, linking particular examples to particular news values, and present your findings to the rest of the group.
The following websites may be useful:
www.news.bbc.co.uk - BBC News site
www.sky.com - Sky News site
www.itn.co.uk - ITN news
www.guardian.co.uk - Guardian newspaper
www.timesonline.co.uk - Times newspaper
www.thesun.co.uk - the Sun newspaper
www.mirror.co.uk - the Mirror newspaper
Multiple Choice Quiz 3
Click here to access the Multiple Choice Quiz for this Chapter.
Matching Exercise 3
Click here to access the Matching Exercise for this Chapter.
Click here to download the Worksheets on Mass Media
Internet links - 3 Mass Media
- www.internetworldstats.com - a site containing details on world internet usage, population statistics and internet market research data.
- www.imdb.com/ - the Internet Movie Database, including charts of all best selling films.
- www.ofcom.org.uk - the Office for Communications, which regulates the UK’s broadcasting, telecommunications and wireless communications sectors, and sets and enforces rules on fair competition between companies in these industries. Lots of useful research material here, such as on media representations and new media.
- www.mediauk.com - Media UK, containing websites, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses and much more for all areas of the online UK media.
- http://www.cultsock.ndirect.co.uk/MUHome/cshtml/index.html - the CCMS (Communication, Cultural and Media Studies) database, containing an extensive range of material on the media and media theory.
- www.theory.org.uk/ - a site containing a range of useful media material, including a critique of media effects on violence theories at www.theory.org.uk/david/effects.htm.
- www.en.wikipedia.org - Wikipedia, the online encyclopaedia which is useful for searching on all aspects of the media.
- www.youtube.com - You Tube video site.
- www.news.bbc.co.uk - BBC News site.
- www.bbc.co.uk - the BBC.
- www.guardian.co.uk - Guardian newspaper.
- www.timesonline.co.uk - Times newspaper.
- www.thesun.co.uk - the Sun newspaper.
- www.mirror.co.uk - the Mirror newspaper.
- www.sky.com - Sky News site.
- www.itn.co.uk - ITN news.
- www.pinkpaper.com - the gay newspaper, the Pink Paper.
- www.gayshopping.co.uk - a gay shopping website.
- www.stonewall.org.uk - Stonewall, the gay, lesbian and bisexual campaigning site.
- www.girlguiding.org.uk/ - where reports on media pressures on girls can be found.
- www.doveproage.com/casting_call.asp - the Dove site using non-stereotypical gender images to promote beauty products.